Agricultural Training, Research and Development Station
Location and Function
Agricultural Training, Research and Development Station (KP4/ATRD) of Gadjah Mada University was established in 1975 sponsored by The Rockefeller Foundation. According to SK letter of command- from Mendikbud (the Department of Education and Culture) No. 0132/0/93 about Organization and Operating System of Gadjah Mada University, the status of ATRD is as Research Supporting Instrument Sub-Unit, who reports to the Assistant I of Rector, while its personal counseling is under the Research Institution of Gadjah Mada University.
The main purpose of ATRD establishment is to accomplish university's function as means of education, research, and dedication to society as reflected in the Tri Dharma of university. Specifically, ATRD is in charge of providing research apparatus for students of S1 (undergraduate), S2 (post graduate), and S3 (doctorate) degree, and lecturers. Besides, as dedication to the society, ATRD provides rice seeds, palawija (crops planted as second crops in dry seasons) seeds, and gives training to farmers.
ATRD is about 12 km to the east of Bulaksumur campus. A part of ATRD area belonged to the village, and the other part was once owned by the villagers. The farm area for the width of 35 ha consists of 15 ha of irrigated field, 15 ha of dry field, 0.7 ha of fruit field and 1.5 ha of mulberry field. The rest of the field is slope of which used for bamboo plantation, offices, warehouse, drying floor, laboratory and greenhouse.
Activity and facility
The main activities done by ATRD of UGM are:
- Research service for students of S1, S2, S3, and the teaching staff in UGM from the discipline of Agronomy, Pest and Plant disease, Food for Animal Husbandry, Farming Mechanization, etc. Â
- Practicum service for students of S1 and S2 degree from a number of faculty in UGM, and
- Dedication to the society, as follows:
- The provision of rice seeds certified ES, SS, and FS of class IR64, IR66, Cisedane, Way Seputih, Dodokan, Kruing Aceh, etc.
- The provision of sweet corn and vegetables
The provided facilities in the UGM ATRD for its duty are:
- Soil cultivating tool, namely Ford 5000 big tractor and B 6000 mini tractor.
- Crops processing tool
- Laboratory with cold storage, muffle furnace, drying oven, leaf area, and incubator
- 4 units of greenhouse @ 96.0 m2
- Warehouse and garage of 198.0 m2
- Car as public means of transportation from Bulaksumur to AERDG
- Pool for soil water (reservoir) of 1.000 m2
- Irrigation duct system and the building
- Meteorology station and instruments
- Freelance manpower for soil cultivating, farm maintenance and crops processing
Readmore : http://kp4.ugm.ac.id/index.php